Sunday 20 January 2019

The traditional version of the 3-way BOM top is complete

I realized I forgot to post this one, when I was writing up the last post about finishing the last two blocks for the freehand version of the 3-way BOM.  I not only finished these blocks back in November, but I also finished assembling the complete top.

Here is the first block.  Of all the blocks, this is probably my least favourite.  I wonder how this block will be quilted.  The quilting may completely change the look of the block.


Here is the second block,  the last of twelve blocks.  I like the large open space of the corner triangles.  I can't wait to see what will be quilted in that section.


Finally we have the completed top.  If you recall from the beginning, when I started this venture, back in January, I decided I was going to do all three versions of this quilt.  I wanted to learn all the different quilting designs being taught, for all three versions.  

My stipulation/restriction, was that the only way that I could justify doing all three, was that I had to use my stash.  No buying any fabric for these.  I didn't want to put any more cost into this longarm quilting class.  I did find all the fabric for all three versions, for the blocks.


When it came to the sashing and borders.....well.....I hadn't thought that far in advance.  I still didn't want to buy fabric for the sashings or the borders.  That is why the border is a bit unusual.  I only had these two fabrics that would coordinate with the quilt top.  The thing was though, I didn't have a big enough piece to use the darker red, which was my first chose.  So in the end I decided to piece the border.  Even doing that, I barely had enough.  Probably because I needed a bit more fabric, when I decided to do the diagonal seams, to slip in the rose colour fabrics.

The insertion of the diagonal piece tends to make the border look a bit more modern than traditional, but.....oh well, done is better than not.

Now I am going to practice some of the new to me, quilting designs and get this sampler quilt done.  The quilt will be a donation to Project Linus when I am done.

No comments:

Post a Comment