Monday 28 January 2019

Layout and quilting ideas for the 6-point star quilt

We're fast approaching the end of the month.  ALREADY!!  I seem to be repeating myself, but where has the time gone!  Just a blink of an eye and January is over.

This is my progress so far on my January's challenge quilt of the month, as part of the AP&Q UFO challenge.  I am happy I got many quilt blocks done.  The more I do the brighter it gets.  There are eighteen full blocks completed and four half blocks.  The brightness is growing on me.


This is the layout for the blocks.  It's pretty simple.  I made the diagram more so to calculate the final size of the quilt.  When the rows stager, it's easy to miscalculate the size or how many blocks you need, especially horizontal with those points.


One morning a while back, I sat having my tea, enjoying some quiet time.  During these times, I often doodle.  I had enlarged a section of the quilt, in EQ.  I wanted a diagram of the outline of the block pieces.  The thoughts were in my head to design a quilt pattern for each block, as though they were individual stars.  Each one different than the other, but all linked together by a running chain of arches.


You can see the chain of arches better on the picture, at the bottom lefthand corner.  If you enlarge the picture, you can see all the different star designs.  Just like they say for snowflakes, "no two are alike", up until this point anyways.

Well......by the time I managed to fill this section, it was getting harder and harder to come up with more different ideas, that didn't look like one I've already done.  Can you imaging trying to do that for the whole quilt, with many more blocks than what you see here. Yikes!  I will have to give it some more thought and some time to brew.  I am sure the options are endless, but at that moment, that was all I was able to come up with.

So........this month's quilt may need to be put away for a while and sit uncomplete for a while longer, but I am still so happy for the progress that I did do.  The task doesn't seem so daunting anymore.

Until next time, have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment