Saturday 12 January 2019

Batik pinks and greens quilt

My customer, Janet, was a very busy lady.  This was the third quilt she had for me to quilt.  Unlike the last two mentioned in yesturday's blog post, this one I did get pictures of.  The only reason I remembered, was that I was on my way to the guild meeting to deliver the quilt, and when I stopped to pick up my mom, I remember that I didn't get the pictures.

This quilt is beautiful.  It's made of batiks in different shades of pink, green and some blues.  I don't know the name of the block, but I like how it distributes the colours.  The colours in the picture are a bit muted, as the photo was taken in the evening with only the lamp lights on.  The true colours are more cheerful but not loud.


When I look at this quilt, I think of a pretty garden with flowers all in bloom.  Maybe that is why Janet chose the border fabric that she did.  This large quilt is going to one of her teen aged granddaughters.

For the backing fabric, Janet, used solid navy blue, pieced around and between the bright fussy cut hummingbird blocks.  When I initially saw the "solid dark" fabric, my brain went into overdrive trying to figure out how I was going to quilt this, and more importantly with what colour thread.

With a solid coloured backing and with a very dark fabric, a lot darker than the top, I kept thinking that everything is going to show.  This had to be done with precision. Yikes! Even after the length of time I have been quilting, I still get nervous with a solid coloured backing.


In the end, I chose to go with a dark grey thread.  My main concern was the hummingbird blocks.  I didn't want to quilt overtop of the hummingbirds and distort the pictures.  As I used Glide thread, even though it was dark grey, it blended in well with all the colours and is almost invisible.

But look what it did to the navy blue!  It added gorgeous texture of flowers, that creates a backdrop for the flying hummingbirds.  The grey is dark, so it only shows up enough that you can see the pattern, but it does not distract from the backing as a whole.  


The front of the quilt is beautiful, and the backing can also hold up it's own.  To me, this quilt can be considered a reversable.  Pretty on both sides.

Another great quilt!!!  Well done Janet!

No comments:

Post a Comment