Saturday 19 January 2019

Freehand version of the 3-way BOM quilt

Yesturday, throughout the day, during my breaks and lunch, I finished assembling the last two blocks of the freehand version of the 3-way BOM quilt.  They didn't take long, because I had already made the same blocks for the traditional version.  Which reminds me, I don't think I showed the completed top for the traditional version.  I'll have to look for those pictures to post about it.


These are the two last blocks.  I like when there are pieces large enough to display a butterfly, like in the block below.  As it so happened, I did not have to fussy cut this one.  I just lucked out when I cut a piece of the edge off the fabric.  These colours are so close in shade, that sometimes you can't tell where one starts and the other one ends.  I think I prefer having more of a distinction.


It was going so well, that at the end of my shift, I decided to go ahead and put the rows together with the sashing.  Yay!!!  The centre of my top is done.  To complete this quilt top, I will use the grey sashing fabric to make the first border and follow that up with the butterfly fabric.



I'm almost done this one.  Soon I will be able to practice live, the freehand quilting with the freehand version, versus just drawing them out.  I know that drawing them out is important, as it creates muscle memory, but I am just itching to do it for real.

Today will be mainly plastering, sanding, plastering, and sanding some more.  I am hoping to prime by the end of the day and maybe even a coat of paint.  If I get really close, I will stay up late into the night/morning, just so that I can finally get my quilting room back in order.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment