Friday 18 January 2019

Take a Stitch Tuesday (TAST) week 3 for 2019

Take a stitch Tuesday for me is late this week, but I am getting caught up before the next stitch is revealed.  That's something.  This week is another common and versatile stitch. I made a few different versions for this one.

Here is the link for week three of TAST and Beyond TAST:  https://pintangle.com/2019/01/15/tast-week-3/

The stitch for week 3 of TAST is the Buttonhole Stitch https://pintangle.com/2012/01/09/take-a-stitch-tuesday-week-2-2/, my version is the first row with peach/pink stitches in the picture below.  I did the traditional version.  There are many uses for the buttonhole stitch, but most commonly you would see them along the edges of an appliqué or the edge of a blanket.  


Just below the peach/pink traditional buttonhole stitch, I tried a fancier version.  Sharon shares many different ways to use this stitch.  Go check it out on her site.  Myself I decided to do the one where the stitches are tighter together and the bottom edge forms a scalloped edge.  That is the one I did above using the variegated red thread.

I was having so much fun that I decided to do another variation from Sharon's selection.  This next one, the one using brown thread, is in fact two separate rows placed back to back.  I can see this done with beads between or on the tips of the short and long stitches.  It looks good, but I just noticed that I will need to work on how to get both sides to match up.  There were many other variations, so don't forget to check them out.


The stitch for week 3 of Beyond TAST is the Reverse Buttonhole Bar https://pintangle.com/2013/12/17/take-a-stitch-tuesday-94-reversed-buttonhole-bar/, my first version below, is purple with the additional part done in pink.  This stitch is another variation of the buttonhole stitch above, only it is a little bit thicker at the base.   You can do it decoratively, with different coloured threads, like I did, or using the same coloured thread.  You could even do the second part with a ribbon, if you wanted to get fancier.


This last sample, the bottom row, was from a link, that someone commented on Sharon's blog and shares what she did with the buttonhole stitch.  This person was the only one I saw so far, that incorporated beads within the stitch.  Check it out here, from Queenie - http://fat-quarter.blogspot.nl/2013/12/reversed-buttonhole-bar.html/.  My version above was done with a dark salmon coloured thread and Mother-of-Pearl pink beads.  In this example, all the parts, bars and second level of stitches were done with the same salmon colour.

Basically, this stitch has the first layer, the buttonhole stitch, the second layer the "reverse buttonhole" and you repeat two layers of the reverse buttonhole stitch on the other side of the beads.  It does stand out a bit more than just the simple traditional version of the buttonhole stitch.  Queenie's version looks a bit more substantial.  Maybe she used shorter bars so that the second layer of stitches lay closer together?  I'm not sure.  I will have to play with this one and see if I can duplicate her technic.

Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment