Thursday 7 August 2014

Taking time to do some quilting

Last night I had some time to myself.  No quilting bee and Son out with his Dad to soccer practice.  I have to get some things done and decide it is time to get back to the quilting I have to do for a friend. I can't show you the quilt yet, as it is not done, so I thought I would show you my changed design wall.


With the Garden quilt done, I hade a lot of space up top.  I decided to move my bow tie leader/enders up.  This is the width of the centre and now I will build it coming down.  Still no repeated fabrics.  I also decided to put The Farmer's Wife blocks away for now.  I still have 13 blocks to make before I work on the stripe corners using the scraps from the blocks.  Instead of  The Farmer's Wife quilt I thought I would do my Purple Stars quilt as my main work.  This block came from Bonnie Hunter's site, under Jared takes a wife. I am doing my version with sashings and corner stones.

I chose a soft blue purple and have some blocks already assembled.  At some point I saw a purple fabric that I really like and want to use it for the border.  The only problem is, the majority of the purple is a bright fuchsia purple with only a little blue purple.  When I realized I didn't like the border with my blocks I put them all away.



Some time after that I find another fabric I could use for the border that has blue purple in it.  The problem with this one is I find it bland.  I liked the spunk of the first choice.  After I took the blocks out again, it came to me to add some fuchsia purple stars to help the blue purple blocks blend in.  I have a lighter version made already.  Now I need to find a couple fabrics similar to the stripes on the right hand side of the picture above and maybe something in between them both.

This will be a change as you go quilt and if I end up with any extra blocks, I can either put them on the back or make some pillows with them.  No big deal.  I need a total of 24 blocks.  All the fabric is cut, except for the additional few colours.

Now I just need to assemble them, but first I have to finish some more quilting.  After my friend's quilt I want to start quilting my Log Cabin quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment