Friday 8 August 2014

Reconstructed quilt #3 - Dresden Plate

This is a Dresden Plate pattern.  I got this one on eBay for less the $10.00.  The fabrics in this quilt are true genuine 30s fabrics.  You cannot get anymore original than this.  Unfortunately the white background fabric is disintegrating.  As well as the workmanship is lacking.  The wide sashing do not match as can be seen in the photo below.  The stitches of the Dresden plates that were appliqué to the white background are visible and some were not given enough seam allowance that some of the plates are fraying.


This quilt was purchased as a top.  It has never been quilted.  I cannot understand really why it is shredding and fraying, as it is not finished and so would not have been used.  My thoughts are that the maker was very elderly and could no long see well to assemble the rest of the blocks.  I say this because the assembly of the Dresden themselves was done by hand and were done with precision.
It is either that or the top was made by two different people.


I am currently still working on this reconstructed quilt.  So far I have the entire top disassembled, some plates ironed, some cut and reshaped, plus a few quarter sections assembled as well.  I like this quilt top and all the fabrics used in the Dresden plates.  I haven't worked on this one in quite a while now.  Reconstructed quilts takes a while to complete.  They are tedious at times and usually take longer to make than starting from scratch.  Even though this is true, I would still consider purchasing  quilts or tops to reconstruct.  There is a certain feel to these quilts that one just cannot duplicate, especially considering that most if the fabrics I am working with are no longer available.

Talking about my reconstructed quilts has put them back into the foreground of my thoughts.  I am thinking it will not be long before I pull one of these quilts out to work on.  Altogether I have six reconstructed quilts.  Three of the tops are completed into quilts, two that you have seen already on previous posts, and three tops that are in the process of being completed.  These last three are more complicated, with two having Y seams and this one with the small wedges to sew with partial seams, to later appliqué to the background.

From this point on, I will track the progress of these last three quilts and share them with you, however I will warn you that it is a very slow process.  I can only work on them from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment