Saturday 30 August 2014

First hexagon quilt

This quilt was wrapped up in a yellow bag in one of the boxes.  It is absolutely beautiful.  This is a completed top that measures 75" wide x 90" tall.  The hexagons were sewn into a diamond shape of two rows of hexagons, and surrounded by a sashing of solid white hexagons.  The workmanship on this quilt was superior.  The hexagons are pieced with such precision.  All hand stitched with tiny stitches with no pleats or bulkiness anywhere.


In my opinion these hexagons are made with old fabrics from some time in the 1910-1920s.  They measure at 1 1/4" across.  This quilt was finished with a solid white border of hexagons going around the whole quilt.  The top and bottom of the quilt were made to form a straight line of hexagons and the sides that would hang down the side of the bed are scalloped, using the diamond shape to form the scallops.


I have never seen anything so beautifully well made as this old quilt top.  There are so many different fabrics in this quilt, I could spend hours exploring them all.  Before I get started finishing this quilt, I am going to take my time studying historical quilt books to determine the best way to quilt it.

I want to keep to the time period of this quilt as much as possible.  I will most likely use muslin for the backing, as was the norm for older quilts, as it would have been the more cost effective way to finish a quilt and would have shown off the quilting the best.

For the binding I am going to use the traditional method of following the individual hexagon shapes.  It will be more involved and time consuming to contour all the points, but I couldn't do it any other way.  I am positive the maker wouldn't have made it any other way either.

No comments:

Post a Comment