Wednesday 13 August 2014

Reconstructed quilt #4 - 8-Point Star

These are the some of the 8-point star blocks I purchased.  The blocks were all done by hand. Unfortunately they were appliqué onto fabric that was not good.  Some had wholes on the background fabric and some had rust stains or old blood spot, hard to tell.


Here is a close up of a block with a stain in the bottom left hand corner. Of this block I had to replace the solid light blue fabric as well due to the quality of the fabric.  For this quilt I took all the stars apart, reconstructed the stars and appliquéd the stars to white fabric.  This was my first quilt that I did by hand, so it took me a while. Once I finished the blocks I had to come up with a layout.  I decided to sew sashing on in a sold greyish blue colour, trying to keep the quilt looking like something from the period of time which the blocks were made.


The quilt is king size. That I think, is the reason it took me so long to get to the quilting, that and the fact that I was trying to figure out the quilting designs I wanted.  Due to the size and density of the quilting patterns it took me quite a long time to quilt as well.   I like the choices I made and the flower design I designed for the corners.  They are simple and well suited for the quilt.


Here is the completed quilt.  My daughter-in-law took the picture of the finished quilt for me. I forgot to take one before they took it home with them to New Brunswick.  Aren't my grandchildren beautiful.   I really like the crinkled look of the quilt.  It adds to the look and feel of age, even though most of the quilt is new.  At least the blocks are made into a quilt, instead of sitting and rotting in someone's drawer (the holes may have been done by moths).  In this case and in all the reconstructed quilts I have done so far, I do feel were worth making twice as the title of the book states.

No comments:

Post a Comment