Saturday 2 August 2014

Reconstructed quilt #1 - Log Cabin Quilt


In 2007 I read a book called Worth Doing Twice.  The book spoke on taking a quilt that is less than desirable apart and remaking it.  I call it reconstruction.  For me that meant taking a quilt that was either poorly made or deteriorating in parts and remaking it so that it is a quilt that can be used.  For the most part, to this date my reconstructed quilts started out as either uncompleted blocks or lopsided quilt tops.  I have not taken apart a whole quilt, yet.  Can I see myself doing a whole quilt....yes, even if only for the challenge of it.

After reading the book I was motivated to finding something to work with.  First place I went to was eBay.  That is where I found these blocks.  They were all attached into a partially finished top, without borders.  It may be difficult to see from the few pictures I provided, but I am assuming the top never got finished because of the wonky logs.  The top was bigger on one side than the other by over 1".  This is a true scrap bag quilt.  Some of the fabrics were not cotton and mostly clothing material.




I was drawn to the top by the soft colours and the look of age.  It would be difficult to duplicate this quilt, because of a lot of older fabrics were used from someone's scrap bag.  I really like the affect of these older fabrics that you just cannot duplicate even with using the reproduction materials they have out these days.  When I got the package in the mail, first thing I did was wash the quilt.  I figure that the fabrics need to show me they are study enough to be made into another quilt, and besides I don't want to be working with someone else's dirt.  


The picture above was my design wall at the time, with the quilt partially reconstructed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment