Monday 18 August 2014

Quilts at the Creek

The York Heritage Quilt Guild had the quilt show at Black Creek Pioneer Village.  The show was called Quilts at the Creek.  They had many quilts displayed throughout the village.  The village was also open so as you viewed the quilts you could also check out the different establishments throughout the village.  Nice place to visit and the children get a real eye opener with how things used to be without electricity.

 

I would have to say that about one third of the quilts were a variation on the log cabin quilt.  The quilt above was about double sized and the log cabin was a half log cabin variation.  If you look at the picture below you will see a close up.  The unique thing about this one that I cannot show you in the picture is that each one of these logs actually only measure just over 1/4".  The total block measures 2".  Amazing!!!  This quilt would have taken the ultimate amount of patience.  Can you imagine how long it would have taken to make this double sized quilt.  Insanity.


This next one was squares surrounded by squares in three different sizes.  All of these fabrics were recycled shirts.  I like the jean coloured look with hi lights of navy.


This next one was also a variation on the log cabin block. This was a half log cabin block and sewn in diamond form, which was assembled in cube shape to look like the tumbling block quilt pattern.  This was very well thought out. Check out the close up below.  Very good.



This was just a small sampling of the quilts at the show.  I will show you some more, maybe tomorrow.  I enjoyed the show and all the quilts.  From these pictures and the ones I will show later I can see that I am once again drawn to the log cabin block and all it variation and settings.  I still have to quilt the one I have done, but I can see me wanting to start another one soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment