Saturday 9 August 2014

Helping my daughter figure out her quilting

When it comes to quilting a quilt, a lot of people get stuck.  What to do, what to do?  There are so many different designs and styles that the possibilities are endless.  My daughter has not yet done any quilting, so we will have to keep it simple, or I will end up doing it.  She is working up her confidence to try, but because this quilt will be her main bed quilt she may decide to wait for a smaller quilt to try the free motion quilting and stick to in the ditch and straight lines.


She is currently putting the last border on while I write up my post.  Earlier today she took out some designs that I already had from other quilts.  She has narrowed it down to the two following designs, that would go in the block to the left, in the picture above.  The design needs to be enlarged to fit, from the last purple flying geese to the same on the other side.


She plans to do a straight line through the black squares that form a partial chain.  Between these black squares there are the larger green squares, that she was thinking of doing a double chain, as seen in the picture below.  After this she thought to do the design below the double chain design for the first border.  At least this is the plan so far.  It could change many times until it is done.


Her quilt is coming along very well.  In case you done remember from my earlier post of my daughter's quilt, this is a Bonnie Hunter Mystery quilt.  The pattern can now be found in her newest book More Adventures With Leaders And Enders.  Again, Bonnie has outdone herself. Many lovely quilts in this new book.  I have already chosen to make Midnight Flight, for my niece, in a different colour selection.

No comments:

Post a Comment