Friday 15 August 2014

Reconstructed quilt #5 - Bow Tie

This is one of the last two reconstructed quilts that I am currently working on.  I really haven't done much of it yet. I purchased two separate bow tie tops, because the price was right.  When I received one of them I was quite disappointed in the top, the construction, the size and the quality of at least 1/3 of the fabrics.  A lot of them had holes or stains.  When the second one came in, I was worried as to what I would find.  To my delight this one was mostly all good.  Outside of the size and the wonkiness the top was in good condition, and the fabric were nice.


Everything sits patiently in a drawer waiting their turn to come out and play.  So far I have the two quilts deconstructed and discarded all the bad fabrics.  In the drawer there, you will see the mint green peeking from underneath the pink/peachy fabric.  The green is going to be my constant in the bow ties and the pinkish colour will be the backing.  Even with the two tops I will only have enough fabric to make one lap size quilt.  I may add some of my own fabrics that I have been collecting, from the 50s/60s.  Some of the fabrics look like men's shirts or women's house coats or day dresses.  This was definitely a scrap bag quilt.


This picture is of the blocks I have assembled so far.  They are all constructed using Y seams.  Something new for me.  It is a bit of a challenge, but now that I have been quilting for just over 11 years I feel I can handle it.  Each block will be made using four bow ties and laid out in this pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment