Sunday 7 September 2014

Started the pleated log cabin quilt

Yesturday I finished ironing all the green four patches, stuffed the fairy pillow and closed it up with a slip stitch, all while having my morning tea.   Seems like a lot of blocks, but they only measure  3" and it will be a queen sized quilt.


After I had breakfast I started on the quilting my friend's quilt.  Got all the outer borders done.  I only have one small inner border left, but for that I need to make a trip to my mom's place to borrow one of her stencils.  Should be able to run up to her place today to get it.  Also want to visit another friend who has a quilt shop within her home to see about the natural colour muslin for the backing of the hexagon quilts.


For the rest of the day yesturday, I ironed all the blocks for the pleated log cabin quilt.  The blocks were all done by hand and were not all the same size, so I hade to trim them all based on the smallest sized block.  All together I needed 64 blocks and had 7 blocks extra, which was good as these leftover blocks are severally stained with what looks like paint or a couple with water/rust marks.

What you see on the design board above is the bottom half of the quilt blocks assembled into four patches.  The quilt layout will be 8x8 blocks.  With each block finishing at 7 1/2" the final centre will measure 60" square.  When this is done I am going to have to go on a hunt for the border fabric that will keep the quilt as close as possible to period.

No comments:

Post a Comment