Friday 12 September 2014

Pinning the floret hexagon quilt


On the weekend I went to my friend Carol's place to get some batting and backing, to start on quilting the floret hexagon quilt and the diamond hexagon quilt that were completed tops.  When I got home that day after running around, I managed to have enough energy to throw the backing in the wash.  I am trying to stay as close to period here with these two quilts, so I got a cotton batting and a natural muslin fabric for the backing.

Tuesday I have a few hours that evening after work and groceries that I decided to piece the backing for one of the quilts.  My daughter chose the floret hexagon quilt for the first one.  I iron all the fabric and pieced it together, pressed the seams and headed for the basement.  The only room big enough to lay out a whole quilt. The carpet is not pretty, but it helps keep your feet warm.  It was the carpet we tore out of the living room.  For now it will.

Everything is going smoothly and I still have time.  I laid out the backing good side down, smoothed out the batting and lastly the quilt top.  I started pinning the layers together.  On the weekend I had also boughten 300 safe pins just for this quilt.  The layout of the pins was one in each floret which is approximately 4" apart and the edges.  I am getting excited to start quilting this quilt.  I am pinning and pinning until I run out of pins.  Can you believe it!  It is now about 10:30 pm, I am getting tired and I only have about four rows of florets to go, but I can't finish them because I run out of pins!

It doesn't stop there though.  The next day was Wednesday when I have a quilt bee meeting, I decided that as the children are having a fend for yourselves dinner, I was going to run down to Fabricland and purchase some pins from them.  Well I could not have pick a worst day as there was a major amount of traffic that day because it was raining quite a bit.  But I persevere thinking I really want to get going on this and the following day is a late start at work so I could finish the pinning that morning.  I get to the store and only realize that I don't have my wallet. OMG!!!  I could not believe it.

I trudge back in the rain and traffic to head home.  Something was working against me.  I decide, oh well, I will have to make another plan another time, because I don't want to be late for the bee meeting.  We had a nice meeting, with a lot of discussion and some stitching.  We're saying our goodbyes and I re-encounter my trip to the store.  I get the supportive ooohhhs, to help cheer me up, when  Sharon realizes she has a lot of pins she is not using right now and offers them on loan to me.  Wow, I thought, I can still finish pinning in the morning.

I did.  I finished pinning the floret hexagon quilt.  Thank you Sharon.

No comments:

Post a Comment