Saturday 13 September 2014

Hexagon parts and sections

This is the last of what came out of the two paper boxes that my cousin and her husband brought. These are bits and pieces of very old fabric.  Some of these are even fussy cut to show off some flowers or not sure if you can see it but the man walking a donkey.  There are three of them.



My cousin requested that I help her to complete the quilt tops that she had and the left over pieces were for me to do with whatever I wanted.  I figure I will make some smaller quilts with the left over Dresden Plates as some give away/charity quilts for those in need of a warm hug.  I already have an old reconstruct Dresden plate quilt in the process of being remade.  I think though that I would like to keep these hexagons and try my hand at making my first hexagon quilt.

There are some hexagon diamonds already started, some hexagon patties ready for assembly and even some small bits of fabric to be turned into patties.  This would be my first hand made quilt if you do not include the hand stitched blocks or any appliqué I did. This would be the first completely hand assembled quilt.

Once I finish my small fairy pillows and the blocks for my P.S. Don't forget pillow, I can use these hexagons as my grab and go project.  There has been quite a buzz about hexagon quilts lately on Bonnie's site and many others.  It was only a matter of time before I was going to start one myself.  Now I don't have to fuss about what pattern and what style.

I like the diamond quilt with all it's variety of fabrics and I absolutely love the fact that they are old fabrics.  My hands are itching to get started, but I have to finish the small projects first.  Need to get the two things off my list before adding another. 

The little red box in the picture held 42 diamond sections already assembled.  They measure 7 1/2" wide x 12" long.  These hexagons are slightly bigger at 1 1/2" across.

No comments:

Post a Comment