Sunday 28 September 2014

Quilt patch bears

I am not sure if anyone remembers when I spoke of our first quilt casualty.  If not, you can refer to the August 6th post where I wrote about it.  It ended up that the quilt was basically irreparable, due to the disintegrating backing.  I spoke to my mom about doing something with the quilt that my niece could keep as a momento of the original.  Something that would not require that we remove all the quilting and take the baking off. 


I came up with the idea of the teddy bears.  My mom helped.  I was just able to cut out enough parts for two bears, out of the good parts of the quilt.  Mom sewed them together.  When it came to the placement of the arms and legs she called me to do them and together we put in the pieces that make the head, arms and legs operable.  I stuffed the bears.

The bears you see in the picture above are almost done.  Mom just has to sew up the seams.  We put a green piece of material around the neck as a scarf to see how it would look.  Now that I see it looks nice, I am going to make a matching scarf from the green that was used for the small border of the original quilt.  You may not see it in the picture, but the same green is forming a band around the bear's ankles.

After mom sews up the seams, she is going to give them to me to sew on the nose and the mouth, and they will be done.  One is for my niece and one is for me.  I think they are cute.  Thanks for helping me get these together mom.

Fast forward to a week later and the Bears are delivered to me on the Saturday to finish off.  I did the faces of these two bears plus a smaller third bear that my mom made herself out of fake fur.  When it came time to do the scarves I realize that I am out of the green fabric that was used for the small border on the quilt.  Instead I found another green fabric that will suit the purpose.

Here is the picture of one of the completed bears.  My niece came by today to drop off some men's shirts for me to use in my quilts, the Bonnie Hunter style of quilt.  Her expression told me that she like the bear.





No comments:

Post a Comment