Sunday 21 September 2014

Doing stuff to help my daughter

Today I am going to fix the backing on my daughter's quilt.  The green she chose is a wide backing fabric.  We bought it for this quilt and added some extra for shrinkage while quilting.  Unfortunately after washing we ended up with a backing that is about 5" short.  Just enough to mess me up.  Today I am going to fix this.  I have no extra fabric on the other side, so I had to go buy another small piece to sew on to the end.  The reason we bought an extra wide backing was to avoid piecing, but now it cannot be avoided.


My daughter is now working on another quilt.  She has all the 1 1/2" squares she needs sewn into pairs and she has about half of the strip half square triangles.  All this so far came from my scrap drawers or containers.  She went through all my pre-cut 1 1/2" dark and medium squares.  This pre-cut stuff is great.  If it was up to my daughter, she may not have gotten to this quilt if she had to cut them all on her own.  She ran short of the pre-cut squares, so moved on to my pre-cut 1 1/2" stripes.  All the plain white comes from various hand work projects.  She is now ironing the pairs.  So far the only fabric I had to buy was the black and later I will probably have to buy a deep pinkish purple for her centre squares, but she hasn't decided for sure yet.


This is the quilt my daughter decided to make.  It is called Fair & Square from the book Scraps & Shirttails II written by Bonnie Hunter.  My daughter, like me, is addicted to the scrappiness of  Bonnie's quilts.


No comments:

Post a Comment