Monday 22 September 2014

Finished Sharon's flannel quilt

This is Sharon's quilt.  I quilted it for her.  It's a large quilt at 81 1/2" x 101".  Sharon wanted something simple for this quilt.  For the centre I outlined all the squares and quilted a straight line on the diagonal both ways creating an X in each block.




For the small first border I did a double chain, and in the small second border I decided to just do straight lines a 1/4" away from each seam.  For the third border I needed to think about it a bit.  The third border is not the same all the way around the quilt. On the head of the bed and the foot the border is only about 6" wide and on the two sides the border is closer to 9" wide.  Sharon did this so that the sides would hang down the bed just right.


I needed to choose a design that would looked good on both the skinny side and the wider side.  Something that when quilted will not look cut off on the skinny sides and something that on the wider side would not have a lot of empty space below that would require another design.


I ended up choosing a twirl, that kind of looks like a wave.  The twirl design has two echo lines that resembles ripples in the water.  I felt this would work good, because I was able to add two more echoes/ripples to complete the wider side and reduced the echo/ripple by one for the skinny side. The above picture shows how it will look when it hangs down the bed.  On the two sides that hang down, there is actually one more border to finish off the quilt sides.  This last border is only on the wider border side.  It is the same width as the second border, so I did the same straight line a 1/4" away from the seam.  The binding will close off the edge and Sharon will take care of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment