Saturday 9 July 2022

Four small NICU finishes

Happy Saturday everyone!  The sun is out and I am looking forward to visiting another few quilt shops for the July 2022 shop hop in my area.  Today we will be heading out over to Woodstock and Mount Bridges area.

This morning, I have four small recent finishes to share with you.  I am determined to get things off my quilt-to-do list, but somehow having that goal, seems to derail me.  The faster I get things done, the more I want to start....  At this rate, I will never finish everything I've started...lol...but that does not deter me from trying.  Part of the fun for me is trying to use up what I have in a creative way.  Being frugal and environmentally friendly, are a couple of my parameters, while trying to make it look pretty and having fun in the process.  

This little cutie meets all of them.  I really enjoy coming up with ways to use up my strings.  On a side note, once you are bitten by the string bug, there is no going back.  You see ways to use up those strings everywhere....lol.  For this one I decided to make crayons.  I pulled out my purple strings and just sewed them side by side in a 4 1/2" width strip for about 18" long, and followed this with a solid purple crayon tip 4 1/2" square.  I added some white pieces to the sides to taper the tip.  After that I repeated the same process for the pink, yellow and red.  This was fun!  I plan to eventually make another one with blue, green, deeper purple and orange for a boy version.


The friendship star NICU quilt came about from the leftover parts of a Texas braid top, that I made for my daughter one Christmas.  I didn't shown that one yet, as it took a while for my daughter to find what she wanted for the borders.  It is on my list of to do...  In the meantime, I have a bunch of light and dark rectangle pieces measuring 2" x 5" that I am trying to find creative ways to use up.  One way was in this friendship star quilt.  I added a little black border to make the colours pop.


This next NICU quilt is the orange hexagon star quilt.  This is another one in the series of hexagon stars that my daughter made and abandoned.  My goal for these stars (6 of them in total, different colours), is to come up with all different ways to finish them off.  They all start by being appliquéd to a white background fabric, but from there they are all going to be different.  In the bundle of stars my daughter had, there were other bits and pieces of other things and some fabrics that she used for other things.  When I saw the fabric that she used for my mother's day wall hanging, she made me, I thought this would be perfect.  The background is yellow with some purple, pink and orange type flowers for the design.  Sabryna also had some of the leftover squares in pink and orange that I used for a second border.  I added the first border in, just so that I wouldn't have to trim the squares in the second border and that turn out nice, as the second border looks like it is floating in a large yellow border.  Second hexagon star done and 4 more to go.  I think I have already come up with a plan for two of them...


The last little NICU quilt I will share with you is some leftover blocks from a Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt.  This was the Rhododendron Trail mystery of Dec/2021.  As the mystery unfolded, I decided to change up the layout of my quilt and make it larger to fit my king size bed.  In the process I ended up with five extra blocks.  As the blocks finished at 10", I only needed the four to make this NUCU quilt, with pretty little aqua sashings and a small pink border.  Isn't this cute.  I have one more block left to figure out what to do with.  For those who may ask, no, I did not finish my Rhododendron Trail quilt yet...I got distracted by all these little fast finishes...lol   It really does not take much to distract me...lol


Hope you enjoyed the bit of eye candy above, I know I enjoyed making them.  I am motivated by puzzles and trying to create something that is pretty while still using up what I have on hand.

So now I have to get ready for the shop hop.  Enjoy the day everyone and take some time to get outside in the sun to get your vitamin D, it helps create those happy hormones.

No comments:

Post a Comment