Thursday 7 April 2016

Wild and goosey block

I started making Bonnie Hunter's paper piece wild and goosey block.  She offered it in her column of a magazine.  This block is a real scrap user.  The top block in the picture below measures only 3 1/2", when finished will measure 3".  With thirteen pieces per block, it uses up very small pieces.

For the colouring of my block, I chose to do it completely scrappy with specific colour placements.  All the flying geese points are being done in blue, from medium to dark and the sides are neutral, from white to cream.  The last piece that make up the row of flying geese is bright yellows and lastly the two half triangles on either side are in green.  All my blocks will be the same colouring, but different because of the unlimited fabric scraps in those colours.   


The larger block shown above is four wild and goosey blocks put together with sashing in between.  This block finishes at 7" in a quilt, with fifty-seven pieces in each.  I have decided to do the sashing colour coded as well.  The long strips will be neutral, from white to cream.  Where each of the flying geese meet in the centre, I am doing the corner stone squares in blue.  When I go to attach all these blocks together I will put a yellow square where the yellow points meet and likewise a green square where the green points meet.

The points with the same coloured squares form a secondary design of a churn dash block.  I hope the quilt turns out like I envision it in my mind.  I think it will look nice, even if it doesn't turn out quite the same.  The constant colours will help blend the blocks together.  


Bonnie Hunter took this picture from one of her classes show and share sessions.  One of her students brought in her version of the wild and goosey quilt.  It's gorgeous!  The layout is similar to what I intend to do, except this person did hers completely scrappy.  I am not even going to try and count how many pieces are in this quilt.  I thing it is too daunting to think about when I consider the fact that, unlike this person who completed her quilt, I still only have the one main block done.

This quilt too will need to wait patiently, while I work on the quilts on my list of twelve.  When I do get to it, this quilt will be more of a long term quilt, due to all the small pieces per block.



I know this post is long, but I thought I would end it with a nice positive quote from Bonnie Hunter's blog at Quiltville.com.  Note: I have made a quilt like this one.  It was so fun to make, that even though I have many on my quilt-want-to-be list, I still want to make another one of these.

Enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment