Sunday 17 April 2016

Dealing with fabric

So.......I got another load of bags from my friend Carol.  She is decluttering.  She is coming to a realization that she will never use what she currently has, in her lifetime and has decided to start dealing with it.  Whether that be finishing things she started or letting go of things she knows she will not get to do.

She has been sharing her wealth with our quilting bee group.  She started with her magazines and moved on to her fabric.  I went through all the magazines, kept what I wanted and shared the rest with the other quilting bee members.

This last batch of bags was mostly fabric.  I went through the fabric and kept a good portion of it.  What I didn't keep, my mom took with her.  Carol knew my mom used a lot of solid fabrics.  She made up a full bag of fabrics in solid colours alone with my mom in mind.  My mom just informed me that she is planning an Amish style quilt, with all the solid fabrics she just got.

I washed all the fabrics that I took in.  I did a load of lights on Saturday, after work and finished by doing a load of darks on Sunday morning, before I started making breakfast.

Here is the pile of laundry that my hubby dumped on my quilting table, so that he could get a load of laundry in.  The pile is so large that you cannot see it all.  The lights and darks are all there.


Sunday happened to be my night off of puppy duty.  My last shift ended at 6:00 pm.  I finished making dinner for the kids just on time.  After dinner I went to my quilting room/studio.  As I ironed the fabrics a quilt pattern came to mind.  I had decided to keep a piece of linen fabric, in a solid yellow colour.  I wanted to make a simple squares pattern quilt.

This is what I decided to make with the linen fabric.  I mixed it in with some pastel fabric pieces that were in with the lights that I washed.  My blocks are cut at 4" square.  I used the full piece of yellow linen fabric that I had.

It was meant to be.  I had just enough of the the yellow to do alternating blocks.  I will need to add in some borders, to make the quilt a reasonable size.  I think for a last minute decision, it turned out nice.  The yellow is bright, but mellow enough to not be dominant. 


I ironed the fabric.  As I went along, I also cut the pieces that I would need to make the quilt that I was thinking about making.  By the time I was done ironing, taking a break, I notices that I went though the lights and was left with mostly the darks left to iron.


After working in the garage, trying to clean up some of the mess made during the winter months, in the morning and working on the garden during the afternoon, now in the evening after processing some fabric, I need to call it a day.  I can hardly keep my eyes open.  I want to do more, but the busy day is catching up on me.

Tomorrow is back to work.  I need to get some sleep.  Sleep tight.

No comments:

Post a Comment