Monday 4 April 2016

Mom's Texas Braid quilt

As my quilting day consisted of frogging the quilting stitches yesturday, rip-it rip-it.  I thought I would share with you my Mom's Texas Braid quilt.  She recently finished it, or the top that is.  The full top is too large to show you on her floor, so I only got a portion of it in the picture.

The Texas braid quilt is in one from Bonnie Hunter's books.  My mom liked this pattern as well as a few others from the same book, that she bought her own copy.  My mom, who has a lot of bits and pieces of fabric from making clothes for her children and theirs, plus stuffed animals and doll clothes, is trying to use up her scraps.  Even after the last few quilts she made in queen size, she feels that it has not made much of a dent.


Up top is a picture of the length of the braids.  Mom's scraps are many with a lot of variety.  The only reason this quilt took a bit of time to make was because mom had to cut all her fabric to the right size.  When I realized she was cutting the fabric for this one, it was too late to suggest she use my Go! cutter.

So when I was there and heard she was heading to the fabric store to get a piece of red for the chain of squares, I told her to wash the fabric but hold off on cutting it.  When I got there for a visit that Friday I was able to cut all of the squares in no time at all.  She was grateful for it.


Here is a closeup of the border.  The border has a lot of the colours in the quilt and helps each of them stand out depending on what section of the quilt you are looking at.

Mom did I great job assembling the quilt, soon she is going to have to move the furniture in order to pin it for quilting.

No comments:

Post a Comment