Saturday 9 April 2016

Examples of an Ocean wave quilt

Here is another quilt pattern I want to make.  This is on my quilt-want-to-be list.  It is an ocean wave quilt and it is a traditional quilt pattern.

The first three photos are of an antique quilt that Bonnie Hunter from Quiltville purchased.  You can check out the full story about this quilt at her blog.  According to the ruler these small blocks are only  about 1" square.  That makes for a lot of half square triangles.  




This next picture is also an old scrappy ocean wave quilt with the background in pink instead of the white like the one above.  I like the soft pink version too.


We have an all blue and white version.  This one has minimal variety of scraps used.  It almost looks like all the same blue fabric, until you look up close.


Lastly, here is a version close to what I want to make, using the black as a background.  This one came from an issue of QNM April 1994.  I plan to make an Amish version of the ocean wave quilt using a solid black as the background and a variety of solid colours for the waves.


A quilting bee friend has been going through all of her magazines and decluttering.  She gave me several bags of magazines and shared many more with another friend.  Eventually we all go through them to see if there is anything that we would like to keep and we pass them along to the next person.

So, for the past couple of weeks I have slowly been going through all the magazines.  I am starting to think it may not be a good thing.  Since I have been looking at all the pictures, I have been reminded of all the quilts that are still on my quilt-want-to-be list.  Yet, I still have many that I have to finish before I can start the ones on this list.

Oh, my mind is going wild with anticipation!  You just may be seeing some up coming posts, just about what I want to make.  I will also share with you some of my friends UFOs (UnFinished Objects).  She gave them to me, thinking that I would finish them and could give them to a charity or what ever I wish.  She gave me some blocks, but no patterns to go with them.  This way I can take what I have and interpret it in my own way.  Thereby possibly making a completely different quilt than was intended for the blocks in the first place.  

I look forward to the time when I get a chance to play with these blocks.  It is fun working with other people's stuff.  Sometimes the blocks are not something that I may have made myself or thought to do.  Sometimes I even have to use my imagination to stretch outside of my comfort zone to create a quilt pleasing to my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment