Sunday 3 April 2016

Quilting the Hexagon diamonds, not doing so well

It started out well.  Yesturday, late morning after cleaning the quilt room up a bit and putting things away, I started quilting the Hexagon quilt.  I figured I would echo the white hexagons that surround all the diamonds, and do a fancy feather design for the diamonds. 

The echoing was going well.  I started from the top middle and worked my way down following the lines on a diagonal.  It was going so well I started getting excited and thinking ahead about the feather design.  I started to outline the perimeter of the diamonds.


I got so excited that I couldn't wait any longer to quilt the diamond.  The problem was that I didn't have the design yet.  I had drafted up a machine quiltable design, but needed to enlarge it for this quilt.  So, off I went to Staples to enlarge the design.  The paper below is the enlargement and above is the stencil that I have half cut out for the pounce.  The middle of the design is where the white hexagon is, where I was going to do an echo.


On the back it looks very nice.  It adds a bit of a feminine touch with the curviness of the feathers, and with the echo in the middle the design resembles a flower.


The problem is that on the front, where it is more important, you don't see anything.  The design is completely lost on the scrappy hexagon diamonds.  The only time you actually see anything is when the lines go through a darker hexagon.  I don't like it at all.  When the lines only show on a few of the hexagons it tends to look messy.


So.......unfortunately it all has to come out.  By the time I realized this yesturday it was time to start dinner.

Today is another day and I hope to be motivated to at least take out the stitches.  I have to take out four full diamond outlines, three half diamond outlines and one full feather design.

I am though, looking on the bright side.  I am still happy that I got excited to do the feather design and worked on it right away, because if I didn't I would have had to take out ALL the outlines on all the diamonds.

That is how I have to look at it.  It could have been worst.  Just a little step back.  I will fix it up and be on my way again.

Enjoy your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment