Thursday 21 April 2016

Similar quilt sighting

In quilting, there is not much that hasn't been done over and over again.  The scale may be different, the colours may be different, but there is not a whole lot that is really different.

When I saw this quilt on Bonnie Hunter's blog, the first thing I thought was oh, that looks familiar.  A bit later, it came to me, that I have one almost the same.  These are common four patch blocks sewn together side by side.  Bonnie saw this one at a flea market in the states.
   

This here is mine.  I bought mine as a flimsy through eBay without borders from someone in the states.  The colouring is slightly different, but very close.  When I got my flimsy in the mail I started off by washing it.  The workmanship was not great, so I knew I was going to take it apart and redo the top, but I wanted to make sure the fabrics would hold up to the wear.  No use remaking a quilt completely, only to have it fall apart or disintegrated in the first wash.


Most of the fabrics made it through the wash.  The few that didn't were because the seams were so skimpy that they started to fray.  Once it was washed I took the top apart, ironed everything, trimmed all the blocks and remade the top.  In my version though I added a couple of borders.  This was during a time that I felt all quilts should have borders.  I do like the one up top without borders too.

No comments:

Post a Comment