Wednesday 6 April 2016

Cake plate blocks

Cake plate blocks are popular.  I started the one made in red and white fabrics a while back.  I only made the one, because I didn't want to start another quilt at the time. Since though, I have started and completed many other quilts.  I don't know why exactly but the block got put aside.  It actually got put away in a drawer and forgotten.

Maybe I didn't like it enough to spend all the time required to making a quilt of this kind.  I still like the cake plate block, just not a whole quilt done in red and white.


Recently on Bonnie Hunter's blog, called Quiltville, I was blown away by her table full of cake plate blocks.  Wow!!!  I love them!  They are so scrappy with a lot of gorgeous variety.  Her cake plate variation has the added small dark half square triangle in the centre.  I like that too.  It adds a bit of interest.


I want to make these cake plate blocks!  A lot of them.  And I want to make them multi coloured scrappy instead of the red and white.

Bonnie has been posting about her cake plates for a while and I have been day dreaming about them for that long.  I just cannot get rid of the itch to make them.  Maybe once I have more of my stuff done, I can consider starting these blocks as a leader/ender project.  Maybe by that time she will have the pattern/layout published in another one of her books.  I like what Bonnie does with scraps.

I will save my red and white fabric for some other quilts I dream of making in my lifetime.  They are part of my wish list of quilts I want to do.  I call them my quilt-want-to-be.  My son got a kick out of the name I use for them. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment