Monday 23 February 2015

Projects on the design wall (February/2015)

I took a picture of the design wall to show everyone what I am up to and to explain how easy it is to have many projects going on all at once.  There are eight quilts on the design wall.  Yes, I know that one of them is my daughter's quilt, but who do you think is going to quilt it.  Me.  So until I complete my part, I consider it to be part mine.


The second quilt is the pineapple blocks on the top left hand side. Unfortunately, this one has been sitting there in waiting, for quite some time now, because I have a few things that have to be done first.  They are paper pieced blocks, so when I work on them, there is no option to do leader/enders at the same time.  I will need some uninterrupted time of mass sewing to make some headway on this one, but I am hoping soon I can tackle a batch of blocks, at least.  For me a batch is ten.  This type of tedious block is not something you can work at without several breaks in between.

The third quilt is my main work.  The block that you see only the edge of, just below the pineapple blocks.  My main work is Midnight Flight by Bonnie Hunter.  This is a quilt that I am making for my eldest niece and her husband.  My main work is a project that I would normally be working on constantly.  I would work in some leader/enders at certain stages of the assembly process, to keep the sewing chain going without having to cut my thread.  My leader/ender project was the Bow Tie quilt that has just been completed and taken off the design wall.  The Bow Tie quilt now becomes a main work, but has to wait in line (I have a list if main work, this one is now number five).


The fourth quilt is just below the Midnight Flight block. It is the Dresden plate block. The Dresden plate is my handwork for while I am at home.  I am finishing this one for my cousin.  I work on this when I need some quite time doing hand work, but only while at home.

The fifth quilt is Tiny Town.  This one is a block of the month.  This one will take some time to do.  The classes are expected to end some time in December.  This will be a long term project.  It happens to be hand work as well.  As this one has a monthly timeline on it, it will be my first hand work.  I do this one at home and I take it as my grab and go work.  Once the monthly block is done, I revert back to the Dresden plate blocks or my other grab and go work.

The sixth quilt is the Hexagon quilt.  This quilt is my grab and go work.  I take it with me wherever I go. Whenever I have time between things I will do it.  This will also be a long term project, as I only do it on the go.

The seventh quilt is my Farmer's Wife quilt.  This one is the brown strips on the bottom left hand side of the design wall.  This one only has thirteen more blocks to do.  This was a quilt that I was working on as a block of the week.  It is a sampler quilt with all the blocks different.  Because the blocks are all different, they are not what I would call mindless sewing.  These blocks got interrupted.  I am not quite sure by what, but they are also sitting in waiting for me to start them up again.

The last one on the design wall, the eight item, is the Mariners compass wall hanging.  Well, what can I say.  This one is basically a distraction that happened a couple of days ago. Check out the story to that one in the earlier post.

So.....you see now how easy it is to be working at so many quilts all at once.  These are only eight.  There are more, but they are put away so I don't get too distracted.  Otherwise nothing would get done.  Each project has its purpose and time to be worked on, and none will interrupt the other.  You must also keep in mind that during working on all of these I also do quilting for others.  Those quilts will take precedence over all the ones of my own. 

It may sound crazy to some, but I manage to keep it all going.  It certainly doesn't get boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment