Sunday 22 February 2015

About my first class and progress on my daughter's quilt

Wow, can you believe this weather.  It took me an hour to get to class yesturday.  Something that should have taken less than half an hour.  Good thing I did leave early, intending to look for fabric for my nieces coming baby.  But, in the end it didn't really matter as the weather made everyone late.  The class before ours started late and that delayed our class about forty-five minutes.

In class the instructor had everyone put up their blocks on the design wall. There were sixteen students and let me tell you, there was not one block that resembled the next.  Everyone had their own colour choices and interpretations of the block.  There were also many different methods used to assemble the block as well.  It was amazing.

As it happened, because I was not at the first class, I was not aware that the instructor had broken the block up into two different classes. For the class meeting, it was only expected that the one house with the flower, was to have been completed.  I was not the only one to have gone ahead.  There were a few that did the same.  That means that I have no homework for this month, while everyone else catches up.  I won't be sewing the next block yet, as I have plenty to keep me busy already.

After class, with my new fabric in hand I bundled up to head home.  As I traveled back home the drive wasn't as bad, as most of the roads were now cleared.  Still weather to stay inside though, where it is nice and warm.

There was a surprise waiting for me when I got home.  My daughter having woken up pretty early for her at 9:00 am, had decided that she was in the mood to do some quilting.  So, she took advantage of my cleared design wall and started making her blocks.  She did great.  I would have to say she did the most she has ever done in one sitting.  She assembled twelve blocks of her Fair & Square quilt, pattern by Bonnie Hunter.


Doesn't it look great on the design wall.  Now she has eighteen blocks made.  They are just on the design wall as is to get them there.  The layout is different (a picture of one block in the layout can be see below).  Now she only has eleven blocks left to do.  She is doing great.  She even has the second part, the string pieces, sixty percent of the way done.


More about the design wall in next post.  I am finding this to be a long enough post already.  Later everyone. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment