Thursday 26 February 2015

Midnight Flight piecing

Well, plans are made to be broken at a minutes notice.  Sunday's plans were to see about finishing the centre quilting of the Pleated Log Cabin quilt.  As you can guess, that didn't happen.  Instead I got a call from my sister needing a favor.  This one was exciting.  My niece went into labour at midnight.  The favor was to pick up the other two children at 11:00 am and look after them until 5:00 pm.  Their ages are 3 1/2 and 1 1/2 years.  Needless to say we were occupied all day.

Later in the afternoon though, while the youngest was napping, I had a chance to do some piecing.  Nothing to complex or time consuming.  The eldest loves my huge basket of scraps.  She pulls the pieces out one at a time and enjoys looking at the colourful fabric while she makes piles/towers.


During this time I was sewing the chevrons for the Midnight Flight quilt.  The Saturday night after I went to bed, my daughter decided she was going to help me and drew all the lines on the light fabric for the chevrons and the bonus half square triangles.  I felt like I had a little elf come to visit and magically completed one of my least favourite chores.  It was a nice surprises.  I had a small pile done and she managed to do two more piles.  I decided to leave them beside my machine, in place of the previous bow tie blocks.  This way I will have a better chance of getting them done, sooner rather than later.

I had forty each of the two sides of the chevrons done before I started.  Now I have another twenty-four sets.  I am almost half way done.  This is the last unit I need to make for these blocks.


With the making of the chevrons the byproduct is the half square triangles (HST).  See the pile on the ironing board.  From each half chevron I get two HSTs.  There are ninety-six HSTs.  A nice beginning to another quilt.  What quilt?  Not sure yet, but they will be used.  Eventually.  For now I am stock piling them in my glass jars.

No comments:

Post a Comment