Saturday 21 February 2015

My version of Spice Islands Compass

Last night after dinner my son wanted to have some mommy time snuggled up reading our books.  In my case it was catching up on my reading posts online.  I have about a hand full of quilting blogs that I like to read and keep up with things in the quilt world.

One of the blogs in particular I only visit every month, as the author only post maybe ten posts for the whole month.  I like what she post and I like the variety of projects she post.  Beautiful stuff.  I had gotten behind in my reading with all that has been going on around here, so when I went to her blog, I was starting back in December and January.  

We are currently more than half way through February.  When I started to read January I realized that this year I haven't read much about New Years resolutions.  Most of the time everyone is talking about them toward the end of December and sometimes even onto the New Year.  But, this year it was not the same, except for this one blog.  I read her post with all the eye candy quilt top pictures included.  She talks about her New Years resolution to complete the quilting of all her tops or as many as she can get done.  She has some beautiful tops!

I read all the comments from others admitting to being in the same boat with all their own unfinished tops and projects.  They were also giving kind words of encouragement and inspiring her to get them done.  By the time I was done, I too was inspired to try harder to get some of the quilts I am working on completed.

That is what led me to the topic of today.  After my son went to bed, I went down to my quilt room to see what I could do.  I had about an hour before having to pick up my daughter from work.  In the back of my mind, I always say to myself "do not" start another quilt. In the end for some reason or another, I do start more quilts.  I am up to 30 not including the quilts that I am quilting for my daughter and the ones that I am finishing for someone.  THIRTY!!!

I have to get this under control.  It's not that I don't work on them or that I am tired of them, I just have so many that it take a while to get them done.  And we have times that I have something come up that deserve starting another quilt, like my niece who is having her first child.  After reading the blog I thought to myself, is there any way that I could rework something that I already have to accomplish two thing at the same time.  One finishing something off my list and two making my nieces baby a quilt.

No luck there.  All the stuff I am currently working on is not baby stuff.  Oh well.....I tried.

While going through some of the stuff I am working on, I came across this project.  It's a wall hanging.  I have always wanted to do a Mariners compass, but I didn't ready want to do a whole quilt with it.  So when I saw this pattern in the Font & Porter's Love of Quilting magazine Mar/Apr 2007 issue, I just had to make one.  I wanted to finally make a Mariners compass.


Last night when I took the container out to look at the project, I was pleasantly surprised to see that I was about half the way done with the paper piecing parts.  I chose to do mine to resemble a sun, in different shades of yellow and orange. 


I have all my pieces rough cut and ready to paper piece.  I even have the blue fabric that I want to use for the background.  Yes,  I know....I know....I am getting distracted yet again.  But...but...I just can't help it.  I took pictures of the wall hanging as my sort of New Years reckoning.  I have put the project out there.  It's like a way for me to push myself and commit to the project and get it done.  It shouldn't take too long.  Maybe I could get a quick finish, which may even inspire me to get more done.  Here's to giving that a try.  


My first distraction from getting this done is, today I have to go to a quilt class, and I will have to work on the homework that comes with the class.  I do have a lot to do, but without me putting it out there it will not get done.  Now that my design wall is empty of the bow ties, I have decided to put this wall hanging in its place.  Being out of the container will give it a better chance of getting done.

My plan will be to finish up some quilting, work on some hand work and when I need some piecing time I will work on this.  Let's see how far I can go with this plan before it gets derailed.

No comments:

Post a Comment