Saturday 14 February 2015

Final pictures of Rose's florets quilt

After many hours of quilting and completing the edges, I can finally say that I am done Rose's florets quilt.  From previous posts. Most of you are aware that this quilt top came to me to be quilted.  The top was made in 1938-1940 according to the papers I pulled out of the last row of hexagons.  I quilted it in the traditional way, in keeping with the time the quilt top was made.


I feel it turned out quite well.  After I washed the quilt to ensure there would be no bleeding of the dyes, I set it out to dry.  The quilting is so heavy due to the small size of the hexagons that the quilt already has that aged look.

I took a close up picture of the quilting.  In close up you can see all he variety of fabrics and their vibrant colours.  Rose (the maker of the top) was really dedicated to making this quilt. Even with the small size of hexagons she still went to the extent of fussy cutting the hexies.  An example is in the close up picture, bottom right hand corner.  Can you see it?  The blue hexagon with the white flower in the centre of the hexagon.  There are many florets that were fussy cut.  Some not as obvious, but they are there.  I would have to say that the Rose enjoyed her work, to take the time to make so many fussy cut florets.


In order to really see the label and quilting I actually needed the poor lighting, to create the shadows which emphasizes the quilting.  Isn't it beautiful?  Honey combs is what I think of when I look at the quilting.  Each one only measures a bit over 3/4" across.  It took a long time to do this, but it is well worth it.  The intense quilting will go a long way to preserving the quilt throughout it's new life as a finished quilt, while in use and during washes.


No comments:

Post a Comment