Thursday 24 April 2014

Various scrap quilts

It has been difficult these last couple if days to do much quilting with doing overtime at work and various things going on.  I thought I would share with you some scrap quilts that I made for various groups in the past.  The first photo is a jean quilt.  Measures about 55" x 78".  This type of quilt is made when I accumulate sufficient blocks. The jeans come from family that know I make these quilts for others.  When a pair of jeans has a hole in it or an ink stain or the like, people don't want to wear them any more so they give them to me.  The rest of the jeans has good fabric that I cut up in 6 1/2" squares.  Like this one sometimes I will vary it up by adding some canvas material to add colour.  The pattern is Trip Around The World.


This next photo is called a Bargello.  This one measures approximately 62" x 84".  This pattern I got from Bonnie Hunter's site.  Nice bright colours.  This pattern uses up a lot of my 2 1/2" strips and goes together very quickly.  This quilt looks good in any colour way, from soft to bright, one colour scheme or many colours.


This next one was made out of a bunch of left over squares from various quilts.  The jumping off point was the border fabric.  You may not see it too well, but the blue fabric has little white rocking horses with touches of red and green.  So, I grabbed my scrap box that contains my pre-cut squares and selected colours to go with the border fabric.  I think it turned out ok.  Makes for a nice boys quilt.


This next quilt, the heart quilt was also made with miscellaneous left over fabric.  These blocks where from all the HSTs that I made for my nickel quilt I showed in another post. It actually worked out that I didn't need to make any blocks for this quilt.  Not even the red and pink ones.


This next one is truly a scrap quilt.  By this time I had made many quilts.  I would say that this one is to the extent of my comfort level when it coms to scrap quilts.  I am not too particular about this one as I find that there is a bit too much chaos.  Though I love scrap quilts, I still have a need for some order.


This one is a form of a spider web quilt, but with eight sides.  This quilt was made with bright leftover stripes that my daughter used to make a reversible quilt.  I thought to tame it down with the alternating black and white corners. The verdict is still not out on whether I succeeded or not.  A bit bright for my liking, but some child is going to like it.   


All of the above quilts were made in my experimental stage of understanding colour and how it works as well as trying to learn how to do the quilting.  They all went to a good cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment