Wednesday 16 April 2014

The buzz word for 2014

Yesterday I was able to get some quilting done.  Was able to finish quilting the horizontal in the ditch lines on the faux applique quilt. Fixed any sections that I didn't like and decided to put the quilt away for a bit.  Took out the remaining nine wedges for the spider web quilt that I need to do.  I am so, so close with finishing this quilt top that I am motivated to continue with it.

I was listening to one of Bonnie's quilt cams the other day and caught a phrase.  She was talking about something that she had either heard or read that day.  It was regarding some other blogger group or her face book group that was talking about the buzz word for 2014.  These days at work and elsewhere, there are goals, statements, words or a play on words to represent what the focus for the year will be.  This year in quilting, apparently the buzz word for 2014 is "Finish".  It could mean a lot of things to different people, but in the quilt world the obvious is to "Finish" the quilt.  I have been aiming for this goal for the past few years.  My practical side of my brain agrees and strives to finish quilts from my list without starting anything new.......the imaginative side of my brain does everything it can do to put up road blocks so that I cannot achieve this goal.  As is my nature, I lean toward the imaginative side of my brain more often.  For the past few years I may have gotten 10-15 quilts done per year, however I would have started just as many.  Some were finishes of existing quilts and others were quilts I managed to start and finish within a short amount of time.

Did I tell you yet, that I consider a quilt done when I have only the binding to put on. So, that means that according to my list I have 23 quilts left to finish (we call these UFOs, Un-Finished Objects).  Plus I have another 4 quilts that only need the binding tacked down by hand.  I don't know why that is, that I don't wait until the binding is on fully to consider it done, but that is how it is.

More to come about the UFOs some other day. For today, I did "finish" the last of the spider web wedges.  Now I can get this top to the "finished" stage very soon.  Every step I do gives me more motivation to keep going.

Do you remember the drawer of scraps I started with.  Didn't even make a dent.  Look!!!  I'd swear the scraps breed at night in the dark.


No comments:

Post a Comment