Sunday 27 April 2014

One binding down, three more to go

Finished culling through the magazines this morning.  Kept a hand full of magazines with patterns I liked.  It got busy with sealing the bathroom shower grout.  Moved on to varnishing the oak step I put in last year at the back sliding door.  Lastly filling the holes on the facing and baseboard for the closet in the guest bedroom. I am done for the day.  While I was doing the varnishing of the steps, or should I say between coats, I was binding this quilt.  I had to do four coats with two hour drying time between, so was able to get the whole quilt bound.


This quilt is a little smaller than lap size.  I made it with various fabrics that were given to me.  The fabrics are I bit heavier than the 100% cotton that I like to use.  They are an assortment of men and ladies dress pant or skirt type materials.  Because of the thickness I had to keep the pattern simple.  This is called a square-in-a-square block.  I was going to make this quilt larger to use up more fabric, but it is quite difficult to sew with these fabrics.  Some of the fabric are thicker than canvas and some are very slippery.  My patients ran out.  Before I ended up abandoning the quilt all together I decided that finished would be better than not.  It still measures about 45" x 60".  For the quilting I did in the ditch for the centre and a version of a feather in the border.  Turned out ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment