Tuesday 29 April 2014

Reversable quilts

Reversible quilts. There are many that can be made.  I am going to show you two simple patterns.  The first one is a crazy quilt block that comes from the book "More Quilts from the Quiltmaker's Gift".  The quilt book is based on a children's book from Jeff Brumbeau and Gail de Marcken call "The Quiltmaker's Gift".  The reverse side of the quilt are a solid blocks, some from the Bob the Builder collection.  Basically on a reversible quilt you construct the block with batting and backing all at once.  

As you sew your pieces on you are creating the quilting pattern for the reverse side.  Once your blocks are done you sew them together into a quilt, however because you will not put another backing on it you need to hide your seams while you sew the blocks together. You do this in a way like you do binding, but a little different.  It is difficult to explain in words, but the process is not that difficult.



One side turns out different from the other.  It's like having two quilts in one.  I must have lost track on the rows, as I was sewing these together, as there is an oops in the middle with two red blocks side by side.  Oh well, no one is perfect.  This next quilt was different.  I friend at work was cleaning out her cupboards and came across this pre-quilted fabric.  Maybe you know the kind I am referring to.  The fabric is manufactured with one design on one side and a coordinating design on the other.  Most people would use them for crafty stuff like a Christmas tree skirt or place mats.  So I had to be creative to use the fabrics that would co-ordinate on both sides at the same time and with the limited amount of fabric. Some fabrics I had very little of like the green in the middle two bars.  Absolutely nothing left of that one.



When I was done I only had a little fabric left of the others too.  This quilt is called a bar quilt, for obvious reasons.  This is definitely an easy quilt to make.  I've made a few other reversible quilts since these two, all in different patterns.  I especially like them for using up scrap fabric in anything goes blocks.  I am working on one of them now.  I'll post a picture when I get it done.

No comments:

Post a Comment