Sunday 14 January 2024

January's BOM are the flying geese

Yesturday I had a full day of sewing!  It was nice.  I almost got all the January blocks done.  January's BOM blocks are the flying geese.  I redesigned the pattern some, with changing some of the blocks and added or subtracted some of the original blocks.  So, in my case I had to make a total of 20 sets of 2 flying geese.  Here are 4 sets of 2 and they are already assembled together to go into the quilt.

The quilt is coming along nicely.  With the blocks I already had made and now the flying geese, I find that I am able to start assembling some smaller sections.  In this next picture, this is one of the section layouts.  I believe that this little section is all different from the original.  I am using the flying geese, variable star, nine-patch, friendship star and broken dish that is in the original design, as I do like these blocks, but I also added the heart, crazy square both in the variable star and on it's own, plus the monkey wrench block.  It is really looking cute!


My goal in all of this, is to make sure there is enough contrast in the blocks and between the blocks so that you can see each individual block.  The contrast can be in the form of colour from light reds heading toward burgundy, light pinks heading toward dark fuchsia.  When it came to the background, I used some white, cream and different shades of pink.  

On top of contrast in colour though, I am trying to make sure the blocks do not fall flat and start looking like solid coloured fabric.  Some of the contrast is coming from texture, such as plaids, hearts, polka dots, flowers, zig zags, gingham......you name it, and I probably have some if it in here.

Below I have another little section done, because the flying geese are now done.  In this section the Ohio star was coloured differently and I fussy cut a heart to go in the centre.  This section is the top part of the quilt, where the large heart indentation starts.  The single pink square, is the start of the outer border of the larger heart that forms the quilt pattern.  On the top of this section, to the right, there are some more blocks that will create the hump of that larger heart.


In the picture above you have the first pink square that forms the top indented point of the heart, and below you have the bottom point of the heart.  The flying geese are pointing to the centre pink square of the bottom most part of the larger heart.  In this picture, you can also see the variety of the background fabrics I used, which are red on white/cream and pink on white.
 

I've shown you 7 different sets of 2 flying geese in this post.  I have 11 more sets of 2 done, and 2 more sets of 2 left to go, to finish the January blocks for our small little group.  

Since I've started making this quilt, I've found out that there are many others doing this Heartfelt BOM quilt as well.  I know of 2 other groups just in my area that are also doing it.  It will be exciting to eventually see all the different takes on this pretty pattern.  Just in our little group there is not one the same.  Everyone is taking the pattern and making tweaks to it to make it their own.  That in itself is part of the fun.

If you are reading this post and you are also doing, or have already done this quilt, please share your pictures.  We would all love to see!

Enjoy your Sunday everyone!!  As for me, while I sit here and glance up and out the window, I note it is back to snowing heavily, so I think I am going to again, just stay inside all nice and warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment