Thursday 11 January 2024

I have decided to let go of this hexagon quilt

In my year end UFO list post, that I posted a few days ago, I spoke about a UFO that I have decided to let go of.  I am just no longer into this quilt.  I've had these blocks for a long time now.  It is one of my oldest unfinished quilts.

It's a six point star made up into a hexagon block.  All the fabrics are old brown bag fabrics that contained things like men and women's shirting fabric, cotton housecoat fabrics, day dresses, some solids, and just about anything cotton was put into this quilt.  When I got this quilt from an auction, I started taking it all apart, washing all the fabrics, ironing them and retrimming them all the same size.


This was my test of doing inset seams.  You sew all the stars and inset each of the border diamonds to complete the hexagon.  Above is what I had done.  There are 20 full blocks done and I believe about 6 half blocks done to fill in the top and bottom edges of the quilt.


The picture above are all the little bundles that are already trimmed and ready to assemble.  Even though I did 20 blocks already, there are still 40 more blocks to go.  So I was 1/3 of the way done.  But, not enough incentive for me to be motivated to continue.  My mom is going to give it a go.

Below is just another picture of everything that was packed up and given to my mom.


Sometimes you just have to be real with the amount of quilts you can make.  There are so many I want to make, that it is not worth the constant nagging, to finish one that I am no longer in love with.  Giving it to my mom, gives it an excellent changes of actually getting done.

Have fun mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment