Tuesday 9 January 2024

Changing up some blocks

I just couldn't stop.  I am geared up to doing this BOM more regularly.....lol.  This time though, I decided to fix some of the blocks I already made.

I tried out a new block that I found and thought it would be a nice addition in a spot where there are four blocks in a four patch format.  However, after making it I didn't like it.  I think it was more so the colours that I selected for it that made it look more like a blob instead of highlighting the blocks themselves.  Do you see what I mean? 


So I made some modifications to the blocks and changed the colours to lighten it up.  I used a lighter background for both the exterior of the block in the interior.  The center square I went with an hourglass unit to match the spokes of the eccentric pinwheel.  Finally I decided to alternate the spokes between red and pink.  Can you see how much of a difference it makes? 


It is essentially the same block, just different fabric choices.  Which one do you like better, the darker version or the lighter version?

I also changed this variable star block.  The points of the star were a washed out burgundy and the background was a very beigy pink that kind of made the block look a bit drabby compared to what I have going on in the rest of the quilt, especially with the centre crazy square having the majority of washed out pinks.  I like this brighter red instead and I now was able to introduce the plaid background is a second block.  I want to find another spot to put this background fabric, so that it appears in at least three different places in the quilt.


Sometimes you have to go with your gut.  If after a bit you still don't like it, remove the block altogether or make changes to it so that it is more acceptable to you.  Afterall, this is your quilt and you need to like it.

Take care everyone, especially in this winter white wonderland......we really got a large amount of snowfall today.

No comments:

Post a Comment