Monday 15 January 2024

I've had too much time to think (QW)

I've had too much time to think and when that happens, I usually get myself into trouble.......lol......with starting more quilts......lol.

A few posts ago, I posted a quilt that a friend made using her stash of 2 1/2" batik squares.  Which got me thinking.....here comes the trouble....lol....  Myself, I have a lot of 2" squares that I am currently using as my leader/enders while sewing up other quilts.

While having my morning tea, I took out the graph paper and started sketching.  This is my third and final version of all my thoughts.  I have the primary block layout, shown below, which is 22 1/2" square.  What I plan to do, is make the quilt using six of these squares, and rotating them with sashing between and a small sashing sized border.  This will make a quilt of 50" x 74".  Definitely something I am going to do, when I get enough leader/enders done.  I want to do this one and the last one I drew up about a month ago.


BUT!!!  That is not all I have been thinking of.......more trouble....lol....  I have been accumulating a bunch of half square triangles (HST).  Mostly HSTs with one side light and the other side dark.  I have friends who don't do bonus triangles, as they find them too small.  They are small...lol... but I don't like waste and I love the challenge of figuring out what to do with them.  

When I get the cut off triangles which are already matched together, I sew them up right away, and over the coarse of time I will trim them to the larges size I can get.  For the most part, that has been a square 1 1/2" in size.

This particular idea is a collision of two separate thoughts.  The first thought comes from this picture of a beautiful ocean waves quilt.  This is an antique quilt, and it is one quilt that is on my bucket list of quilts I want to do in my lifetime.  I am not sure why exactly that I am drawn to this pattern, but I am.


The second thought comes from the picture of this section of a beautiful log cabin quilt.  This picture was taken so that I could have a picture of the background fabric.  I really think the teal'ish blue is gorgeous.  The whole quilt is gorgeous!  I was drawn to this blue, as I loved the way it played with the other colours of the log cabin blocks.  With this background, those other fabrics seemed to pop out beautifully.  They seem to shine.  Similar to when you use black and add colour, but in this case in a different way.  The blue just added that little something more.


So.........don't be surprised if I start another quilt or two......lol.  Like I said earlier, having too much time to think, usually gets me into trouble.  The only thing stopping me from starting this second quilt with all the HSTs, is that the majority of the HSTs I have are in the 1 1/2" size.  That would mean that the squares would finish at 1" sewn into a quilt.  At 1", these blocks would only measure 4" finished.......OMG!!  That is 10 HST, 4 small triangles and 2 larger triangles to make one 4" finished block!!  Is that not insane!  On top of being really, really small, it would require gobs and gobs of HSTs to make a decent size quilt.  That didn't discourage me initially, as I did pull out all the HSTs that I had in that size...............we shall see............lol

No comments:

Post a Comment