Thursday 19 October 2023

Waterloo County Quilters' Guild 2023 Quilt Show (Take 2)

A continuation of yesturday's post regarding some very beautiful quilts from the Waterloo County Quilters' Guild 2023 Quilt Show.  

This first one was something else!  So many tiny pieces all hand appliqued to a background, not to mention the subject of the design.  So stunning and beautiful!!  I can't even imagine the hours and hours that went into making this quilt.  All those pieces and deciding what colours, how many and where to put them, to have a well balanced quilt in the end.  Wow!!


This next quilt done in neutrals and faded blues, looks pretty complicated to assemble.  The pieces were also small and this looks like it would have had to be made in sections of wedges.  It was very pretty.  The picture does not do it justice.


I took this following picture in order to get inspiration from the quilt on the chair, but in the process, I ended up getting a second quilt, which was unique.  Are you a cat lover?  There are many blocks of cats in various colours with some blocks of flowers.  Cute.


As I mentioned, the above picture was taken for the inspiration of the quilt on the chair.  I was so inspired that I came home that vary day and pulled out two identical charm packs.  This quilt is easier than it looks.  It is made with one charm and beside it is a nine patch.  That is it!  The nine patch is the trick to making this design work.  In each nine patch the corner blocks plus the centre are in background fabric and the remaining blocks are the colours of the charm square that they side beside. So for every charm square, you will need a matching pair.  Stay tuned for it one later.

Below on the left is one of Bonnie Hunter's designs and on the right is a pretty quilt I thought I would like to make, to use up some of my scraps.  Using a lot of background fabric sometimes helps with taming the scrappiness of the scraps.


All of these quilts in the next photo were pretty, but I took the picture, because I saw that I was not the only one to come up with the idea of using fabric strings/scraps to make crayons for a child's quilt.  This person made hers a bit bigger than mine and she added 8 crayons instead of my four.  But again, I was making a NICU quilt, so I was limited with what size I could do it.  I will likely make another for Project Linus and make it larger, just like this person did.  Aren't they playful and fun looking.  I am sure that any child would love this bright and cheerfully quilt.


Hope you enjoyed the small sampling of quilts from the show.  There were many, many more that were equally as beautiful.  I hope you had a chance to be there, to see them all.

Have a great night everyone.  Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment