Wednesday 25 October 2023

Preparing for an upcoming quilting retreat

I am getting ready to go on a quilting retreat in less than two weeks.  I finally committed to what I am bringing with me to work on.  Nothing like leaving it to last minute.....lol.  So, tonight I had to run down to Milton to photocopy 211 pages of the blocks I am using for this next quilt.....a NEW quilt!!!

I have been going thorough all of my nieces and nephews making quilts for them in date of birth order and I'm also looking to do each of my siblings and sisters-in-laws.

This is a quilt that was on my bucket list.  When I was at the Jenkins cottage reunion, I showed it to Deb, my sister-in-law, to get a feel of what she likes.  She loved it and said yes that she loved it enough that she would like one of her own.  That was all the excuse I needed to take it off my bucket list and on to my lets make it now list.  I like the movement of the blocks together.  This pattern is commonly known as Sea Swept.  It is a combination of a Snail's Trail block and an Storm at Sea sashings.


Below are the fabrics that I am thinking of for this quilt.  Instead of the white background that you see in the picture above, I am going with the light blue on the lower half of the picture below.  All the darker blues, medium blues, turquoise, all the way to sea foam blue/green fabrics will be mixed together, to make the rest of the blocks and sashings.  I haven't made a primarily blue quilt yet.  I am looking forward to working with these cheerful colours. I especially like the sea foam colour.


I now have to find some time before the retreat to rough cut some of the main pieces, to make it a bit faster when it comes to assembly.  I used my EQ to draft up the blocks and sashing blocks, as this quilt will all be done in paper piecing.  Below are all the copies and printout of my pattern.  The background is not going to be quite as dark as the printout.


I am really looking forward to starting this quilt and plan to get as much of it as I can in the three days of, sew your brains out, quilting retreat....lol.  Though I am also bringing a couple of other things with me that are not quite so intense, for a break if I need it.

As we use to say to the kids.....only 8 more sleeps.....OMG.  Just typing it here, has made me realize that there is only one week....not just under 2 weeks.....BIG DIFFERENCE!!!  I better get boogying and start cutting the fabric up into packages.  Wish me luck.

Take care everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment