Friday 1 February 2019

What's up today?

Yesturday was a mad dash, trying to get some things done, to end the first month of this year right.

Accomplishments: 1/ I did get the label done for an older quilt I made.  It's all stitched up, trimmed down and sewn to the quilt.  2/ I cleaned up my quilting room, giving me space to start February's UFO quilt.  3/ Got everything coordinated for the workshop this weekend.  4/ Put away some of the scraps on my cutting table.  I am feeling good.

Another thing I did, was I started the webbing of the NICU wild & goosey quilt.  It's all webbed together and the first four rows are sewn across.  That would be the blue, green and yellow top you see on my sewing table.  And yes, I still haven't put the borders on the modern version of my 3-way BOM quilt that is also sitting there on my sewing table.......soon.


American, Patchwork & Quilting magazine UFO challenge Facebook group called the number for February early.  I ignored it until now, the first day of February.  This month the number is 6.  For me, number six is my hexagon quilt.  My tin is ready to go, as it always is.  I enjoy working with these little pieces of fabric.


Many of the fabrics, or at least half of them, come from my cousin and her husband.  Her mother, his mother and his grandmother were quilters, or more so they were piecers.  They came to me with six quilt tops or pieces, asking me to see about finishing them.  There is nothing I like more than helping a fellow quilter complete the destiny of his/her quilts.  I made two quilts from the pieces (a pleated log cabin quilt and a Dresden plate quilt), and I quilted two hexagon quilts.  The last two hexagon quilts were not complete and were not worth the time to complete.  One of them I suggested would need to be taken apart and started from scratch and the other had some inferior piecing and pieces, so my cousins told me to just do what I wish with the remaining pieces.   I decided to keep the second one for the pieces, should we need to repair any of the other hexagon quilts and the last one I did take apart.

I started this quilt back in December/2014.  Taking it apart, washing the fabrics (to make sure they are durable enough to be used), resizing them and now putting them back together.  The half top that I took apart had some pieces that were too thin to be used again and some were not colour fast, but many of the others are good.  I cut out many pieces from my own stash of dated fabrics to match the time period of the ones from my cousin's pieces, plus some reproduction fabrics too.


I decided that I was going to make a combination of the two quilts I quilted for my cousin.  One of her hexagon quilts was florets and the second one was diamonds.  Hence the florets around the perimeter and the diamond forming a grid in the centre.  I have a lot of this quilt started, including the final border.  The picture above only shows a portion of what is done.  The border at the top and the one at the bottom are started too.

I know I will not get this quilt done in the month of February, however I am not worried.  I still want to take my time with this quilt and enjoy the process.  It's all hand work, so that in itself is time consuming.  You may get bored of seeing pieces that look similar to each other, but I am sure I will not be able to resist working on other things as well.........that is my nature....lol

No comments:

Post a Comment