Tuesday 5 February 2019

3D Christmas tree wall hanging

This is a customer quilt and I think it turned out cute.  I do believe my customer liked it too.  This is a 3D wall hanging, trimmed and just awaiting the binding, which the customer will take care of.  The 3D parts are the prairie point tree branches and the pleated star.


Though it isn't very big, it still took quite a while to do.  I quilted it to death and while quilting it, I had to move, shift, lift, lower every single prairie point a few times each.  The quilting goes underneath each branch to tack down the background, which helps the prairie points lift a bit, creating the 3D look.


As I worked my way down the rows, each of them needed to be lifted or put down, depending on whether I was quilting or ditching, and again when I had to quilt the cream background that diapers under the edges of the prairie points.  It was a lot of work, but I do like the affect as a whole.


With all the focus on the tree prairie points, I felt I needed to do something to bring out the star.  So, after I finished the background quilting, I switched out the thread for a flashy mango yellow glide thread and quilted in the shining raise of the star.  I think it helped that I quilted the raise right out into the border.  The yellow thread stands out a bit more in person, than what you see in the picture.


Here is a picture of the quilting for the background.  Tight swirls.  Like I said earlier, a lot of work went onto this one, but it was fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment