Tuesday 5 February 2019

Take a Stitch Tuesday (TAST) week 4 for 2019

A short intro -- Look what I started......  I have been gearing up to do a true crazy quilt with fancy stitches, lace, ribbons, beads and all.  I've wanted to do one for many years, however didn't feel I had the skills to execute it, so........


I have taken up the TAST and Beyond TAST Challenge, which is an online group.  The event is called "Take a  Stitch Tuesday" (TAST) and can be found at https://pintangle.com/2019/01/22/tast-week-4/.   The moderator/hostess is Sharon Boggon.  Sharon is an expert needleworker and the author of her new book called Visual Guide to Crazy Quilting.

There will basically be two stitches each week, for fifty-two weeks.  One from each challenge.  The first one "TAST" is for beginners and the second one, "Beyond TAST" is for those who have some experience. Check out her site for all of the details.


The stitch for week 4 of TAST is the Stem stitch, https://pintangle.com/2012/04/10/take-a-stitch-tuesday-week-15/ , my version is the blue wavy line in the picture above.  This stitch is probably one if the most often used stitch, other than the running stitch, as it is another versatile stitch.  For the curves you need to shorten your stitch to get a smooth curve.  This is also known as the crewel stitch.



The stitch for Beyond TAST is the Portuguese stem stitch, https://pintangle.com/2013/07/09/take-a-stitch-tuesday-73-portuguese-stem-stitch/ .  Mine is the gold curvy line in the picture above.  This one is similar to the stem stitch, however it is thicker, when using the same thickness of thread.  This is also known as the Portuguese knotted stem stitch.  
I think on this one, it wasn't until I reached the second hump, before I started getting a hang of it.

Of the two stitches that I learned today, my preference is the first one, as I prefer the more dainty look to it,  but I am sure there are times where the second one would be better suited, for a particular area or situation.


So......we've come to the end of week four and I have one side of my small sample sheet done.  I can't believe how many stitches I've learned and how different each stitch can be.  Even when doing the same stitch, but in a different configuration or with the addition of beads.

This is great!  I am enjoying this.  It is taking me longer than I anticipated to learn them, stitch them and post about them, but that's ok.  I still want to do them.

Are you hooked yet?  Did you join in?

No comments:

Post a Comment