Tuesday 26 February 2019

Working on my Mountain Majesties quilts

On Sunday past, I ended my work-cation (a vacation where I have to work outside of my full time job), with a me day (a day that no one is to demand my time and I get to choose whatever "I" want to do).  I chose to spend the whole day on my quilt room with uninterrupted sewing time.  I cleaned up some, sorted some, cut stuff, sewed blocks, updated my list......you name it, I probably did it.

I was going through withdrawal and was desperate for some sewing time.  It did the trick, because now I am reenergized. 

One of the first things I wanted to make progress on was my mountain majesties blocks.  Instead of making a very large quilt, I have decided to make two twin sized quilts for donation.  What you see there on the design wall is half of the one quilt.  The second quilt is also half done.  For these blocks you are making two blocks at a time, and because I want to distribute the colours, I am separating the blocks between the two quilts.


It may look or feel like it is taking longer than usual to make the quilt, but once the first one is laid out, I will already have all the blocks done for the second one. That's a plus.

While I was working on the blocks above, I was using the Carolina chain blocks as my leader/enders.  I have a nice stack of those done too.  I made more than what you see in the picture.


Toward the end of the day while I am sitting down taking stock of all my accomplishments for the day, I pulled out the next orphaned block.  This orphaned block is a block from my daughter's fair and square quilt by Bonnie Hunter.  Now I need to figure out what I can do with it to make an attractive NICU quilt for donation.  Any ideas?


My initial thought is to place it on a diagonal and add corners to make it square, and maybe a pieced border......but not sure yet.  I will leave it on the design wall to brew for a bit.

I am now a happy camper....lol. I had some me time to play.  I feel that I was productive and overall it takes the sting out of using my vacation to do more work, instead of going away somewhere nice and warm.  All is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment