Thursday 16 November 2023

Reusing/repurposing men's shirts

In the office today, I was talking to a friend/coworker about quilting.  She dabbles in all sorts of crafts and she has made a quilt or two.  She knows I am a quilter, so we often talk about what I am up to, or about techniques, etc.  I showed her the quilt I am making using men's shirts, from the men in my extended family.

She recently lost her father. and our conversation brought to mind, that it was suggested, that she make something with her father's shirts.  I explained that the quilt I am making is quite intense.  Instead, I told her that I had a customer who recently made a quilt using her father's shirts.  The quilt is both gorgeous and with larger blocks would make it more reasonable to make.

So I pulled this picture out of my files from Oct 16/2023, to show her/my friend, what the quilt looked like.  It is very striking with the different blues and the darker colours set against the lighter background, though any colour combination would do.


This quilt is 74" x 74", which makes the individual blocks finish at 9.25" square.  Very good use of larger pieces of fabric.  In this case several pieces from the back panel of a man's shirt.  I know there are a few different layouts for the centre part of the quilt and you can play around with it if you wish, but I do like this one just the way it is.  Great job Mary.  I know your brother is going to love this quilt!!

In quilting progress, on my Heartfelt BOM quilt......today, I started cutting all my red on white fabrics to make the squares for the background.  I had a total of thirty-five different fabrics.  I cut out 2 strips from each fat quarter.  I will have more than I need and variety to select from.  


As there wasn't much time tonight, I only got the strips cut.  Next will be to cut these into squares.  I am really looking forward to seeing how the background is going to look, especially with the new pink I decided on for the perimeter of the heart.

Take care everyone and don't forget to take some time for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment