Wednesday 15 November 2023

Last of the Ohio stars blocks and debating my perimeter squares

Today, I finished the last of the Ohio stars blocks.  Yeah!  Next I will move on to the Variable star blocks.  I have to make seven of them.  I know it won't be tomorrow, as I have to  go into the office to work and Friday I am at my mom's place, so won't be happening at that time either.  I have some customer quilts to quilt this weekend.  I am thinking of doing them in the morning and afternoon on Saturday, so maybe, late afternoon and evening I can get into the blocks.

I want to try and get something done renovations wise this weekend too.  Will be working overtime all next week and the ladies are meeting here at my place for a sew day, next Saturday, so all else fails, I can do the blocks at that time.  Afterall it will still be November, so it won't be late.


Today I also made an important design decision regarding the consistent fabric for the surrounding heart that contains all the miscellaneous BOM blocks.  This first picture is the original thought of a darker reddish pink, but after some time and looking at the way my blocks were going, I felt they were reading as brown....or at least a dark beige.  My next thought was to change it out for a consistent lighter fabric (see the top left hump or the bottom left line heading down to the peak. 


Here is a close up of the fabric I thought to use on my second thought.  You can also see a bit of the first fabric I thought to use on the left, right beside the Ohio star.  Do you see how dark the first one was?  Well the second one to my eyes is no better.  Instead of dark, it is too light.  In the picture above, you can hardly see the white with burgundy roses.  Does this not sound like a Papa Bear/too hard and Mama Bear/too soft type of thing......lol.....now I need to find the Baby Bear, who is just right!!  LOL


So take a look at this next picture.  I think I have it just right now.  The pink is not bright enough to be in your face, and it really does allow the centre blocks to shine.  What do you thing, a bit more subtle but still noticeable?  Is it good?  How do you like my "X" for kisses and the "O" for hugs?


It took a while to cut out all 50 squares, but I think it was the right decision.  Here is a closeup of the pink.  I was also thinking today, as I was swapping out all the squares, that I can actually start getting some of the background pieces put together.  I've already figured out how I will be assembling the top, so I started cutting out the red on white fabrics for the background.


There is still a lot to do on this top, but I am keeping up pace with the schedule.  We have 2 1/2 weeks left of November and all I have left to do are the seven variable star blocks.  Lots of time...hehehe....if I could put a hold on the time for a bit....lol.  Life keeps moving along....

Take care everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment