Sunday 2 October 2016

Two of my favourite pastimes

On my birthday, I decided to take a long overdue day to myself.  I day that I could do whatever I wanted with no plans, no schedules, no deadlines, just plain old going with the flow.

I decided to go for a drive.  I went to my mom's new place to pick her up and off we went.  Even just leaving from her place was an adventure.  I set the GPS for our first destination and the GPS took up through some lovely country back roads.  It was beautiful.  Some of the leaves had changed colours.  Of all the seasons, I think it is a tie between spring with all the new growth and fall with all the changing colours.

Our first stop was Creative Sisters in Kitchener.  I received a birthday postcard about a month ago, inviting me to come save 20% off, during the month of my birthday.  I'll just say that I took advantage of this discount with purchasing my quilting pencils, basting pins and other like type notions.  I even stocked up on my Christmas fabric, which was 30% off.  I finally found the base fabric, for my Christmas pineapple blossom quilt, that I want to make, for my husband and I, for our bed.  The dark grey on the left is the base fabric.


By the time we finished in this quilt store, it was time for lunch.  We headed for a nice restaurant just outside of St. Jacobs.  Enjoyed some good food and conversation.  Once we where done there, we headed to St. Jacobs.  Unfortunately, they were doing construction on the roads and the main strip was closed.

So, instead we headed to the Antique Warehouse just outside of the main strip, near the Farmer's Market.  We thoroughly enjoy walking down all the isles.  We were there for just over 3 hours.  Both my mother and I got some good buys.


Me, I found this shelf.  I already hung the shelf on the wall in my quilt room and as you can see, I now have some patching to do.  It is a simple shelf, made of solid wood with minimal wear and tear.  It's the one on the left and it was only $25.  

A lot of the things on the shelf were also items I found there.  I really like it when I find sewing type objects.  I picked up two old/vintage wooden thread spools.  One of them I am using as a candle stick holder.  I have another pin cushion for my collection and a couple of large old Mason jars that I picked up for only $2.50/each.  Than there was the heavy cast iron old/vintage iron with it's fancy curved handles.  Can you imagine having to heat this iron up on an old wood stove in order to press a seam while quilting.  We are so spoiled now a days, with our auto shut-off plug-in irons.

All in all it was a very good day.  This day went a long way to de-stressing and lifting my spirits.  I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment