Sunday 16 October 2016

Amish style sunshine and shadow quilt

Today, I was off to a late start.  I just did not want to get out of bed.  I had a late night at my mother's new place doing some renos and Maddie, my 11 mth old puppy was up at 5:00 am getting sick.  Once everything settled, I lay down with her on her large doggie bed and we both fell asleep.  Come 7:30 am my son came to take over.  From there it was a quick shower and clean up the kitchen.

All I wanted to do was play in my quilt room, but some things just need to be done.  Later in the morning I took a break with a cup of tea in my quilting studio.  I am seeing bits and pieces of things that need to be done here, but again, all I want to do is play.

So......what do you think I did.  Not really a difficult question to answer, is it?  Of coarse I did some playing.

Some time back in April, one of our quilting bee members gifted me with several UFOs that she had decided to have someone else finish.  One of them was a bunch of strip sets in solid colours.  Once I cut them up, I had enough to make 30 half squares.  Today, that is what I pulled out to play with.


It's a cloudy day here today, with on and off rain.  A perfect day to settle in the quilting studio and sew.  I cut and sewed on a black half square to the strip set half squares to make the sunshine and shadow block.  I set the squares in the traditional layout.  By 3:00 pm I was done the top, borders and all.  The finished top measures 50" X 57".  A nice size for a charity/give away quilt.


While I was working on the Amish style sunshine and shadow quilt, I worked on my pinwheels from my leader/ender box.  I got 9 full blocks done.  Yay!


So, even while playing, I did get some stuff from my list done.  This way I don't feel so bad.


**Progress on my top 12 list (which turned out to be 18 instead)**

Work in progress:  
4. Quilting - Navy blue & cream quilt (my own)..........finished quilting in the ditch
7. Main work - Spools quilt (my own)..........first row done, on hold to work on quilting
8. Main work - Mel's romance & roses quilt (family)
9. Leader/Ender - 16-patch pinwheel quilt (my own)..........stated sewing the pinwheel parts
10. Handwork - Reconstructed Dresden plate quilt (my own)...........9 full blocks left to do
11. Quilting - Lise's Dresden plate quilt (family)..........waiting to be quilted
12. Handwork - Machine wall hanging (my own)
13. Paper piece - Pineapple quilt (my own)..........these are put on hold again for a bit

Total number of quilts completed - 10
Total number of quilts left to be completed - 8

Completed quilts:
1. Quilted Flo's hexagon quilt (commissioned)
14. Sabryna's 16-patch pinwheel quilt (family)
16. Reversable crazy quilt & matching doll quilt (charity)
15. Log cabin quilt (my own)
18. Small wonders quilt (charity)
17. Scrappy stripes quilt (charity)
2. Michelle's midnight flight quilt (family)
6. Jean material quilt (charity)
5. Midnight flight runway quilt (charity)
3. Quilting - Lise's hexagon quilt (family)

No comments:

Post a Comment